Dangers of button batteries

batteryEvery week in Australia about 20 children present at hospitals after swallowing a button battery. Two children have died: in 2013 and 2015. When swallowed, small coin-sized lithium button batteries can get stuck in a child’s throat and cause severe burns or death.

The statistic has prompted an alliance between consumer group Choice, The Parenthood and Kidsafe Queensland, who are calling on the federal government to introduce stricter safety standards for all products containing button batteries. Read more here

With the range of toys available on the market, Standards Australia has two Technical Committees reviewing toy standards ensuring better protection for consumers. EL-002 Safety of household electrical appliances is progressing the review and adoption of IEC electric toy safety standards.  David Gray is the CFA representative on the committee. While CS-018 Safety of children’s toys is progressing the review and adoption of numerous ISO toy safety standards, with Matthew Tung the CFA representative on the committee.

The ACCC Product Safety Australia has videos and safety tips about the dangers of lithium button batteries here  including a FREE fact card and poster.

CFA provides volunteer representatives on Standards Australia Technical Committees as part of the CFA Standards Project. If you are interested in finding out more about the Project and/or becoming a volunteer CFA Standards Representative please contact the Standards Coordinator at standards@consumeraction.org.au

Image from James Bowe.