Button batteries, also known as coin batteries, are used to charge devices that have a longer shelf-life, like a watch or the key to your car. They’re small, flat, and round. Button batteries can lead to serious internal burns in as little as two hours. If you have young kids and you haven’t heard of button batteries, they need to be on your radar, find out why they’re dangerous.
In Australia, one child a month is seriously injured after swallowing or inserting a button battery, with some of them sustaining lifelong injuries, Product Safety Australia identifies safe use, buying tips and storage as well as other useful information. Standards Australia has released a draft of a new standard that promotes consumer safety by providing minimum requirements for button/coin batteries, including their usage, packaging, and disposal.
Standards Australia encourages views and input from a wide cross section of the public on a draft publication during the Public Comment stage. Create a free account when you Login to Standards Australia Connect and browse the draft of DR AS 5347 Button/coin batteries and consumer goods that use button/coin batteries. It is open for Public Comment until 12 October 2022.
More information on how to comment in the user guide for members of the public.
The draft standard was prepared by members of the Standards Australia Committee CS-118 Button batteries. CFA supports a representative to participate on this committee, bringing the consumer stakeholder contribution to the process and ensuring a robust standard of benefit to the community. Find out more about the CFA Standards Project and how to get involved.
If you suspect your child has swallowed or inserted a button battery, call the Poisons Information Centre immediately on 13 11 26 for 24/7 fast, expert advice. If your child is having any difficulty breathing, contact 000.
Enjoy this article? Sign up to our monthly newsletter and stay up to date on the latest consumer policy news.