The Credit Ombudsman Service is an impartial and independent external dispute resolution scheme. Established in 2003, it is one of only two schemes approved by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission for the financial services industry. Its operations are funded by levies imposed on industry participants and its services are free to consumers and small businesses. COSL investigates complaints about the provision of financial services by its members to consumers. It has more than 18,000 members. It is a company limited by guarantee and is independent of government, financial service providers, consumer organisations and industry bodies.
The Board now seeks an outstanding person as a non-executive Consumer Director.
- Provide strategic guidance to management and the COSL Board, consisting of an equal number of industry and consumer representatives, and maintain trust and collegiality among board members.
- Ensure the organisation fulfils its primary responsibilities as an external dispute resolution scheme and maintain and protect the integrity and independence of the COSL scheme and the Ombudsman.
- Promote the success of the COSL scheme which has multiple stakeholders, and act in the best interest of the company.
- Demonstrated commitment to the interests of vulnerable consumers as are relevant to the Credit Ombudsman Service.
- Ideally, at least 5 years demonstrated expertise in consumer credit, case work and/or policy.
- Demonstrated willingness to consult with consumer organisations, and knowledge of issues pertaining to the financial services industry.
- Demonstrated experience and interaction with multiple stakeholders – governments, regulators, consumers and providers.
- A solid understanding of contemporary corporate governance principles.
- Completion of the AICD directors course or a willingness to undertake the course soon after appointment.
Please reply, enclosing full details to: Board@cosl.com.au Applications close on 8 August 2014 Tel: (02) 9273 8480 Fax: (02) 9273 8481 PO Box A252 Sydney South NSW 1235