This is the long way to post a story, but if you have some idea about using WordPress you get more control. Alternatively use the quick and easy method.
Step A: Logon
1. Choose the menu item Members/Member Log in.
2. Enter your user name and password
Your user name is usually your first and last names if an individual, your organisation’s common acronym if you are an organisation; if this doesn’t work or if you don’t know your password you should be able to have WordPress send it to your email address after a failed attempt. If this doesn’t work contact us to get your details.
3. Optionally check ‘Remember me’ if you want to your details to be remembered on the computer you are using.
4. Click Log In.
You should be logged in and your member name will be displayed.
Step B: Create a new ‘post’
A post is a name for a story or article on a blog. All the articles on the home page are examples of posts.
1. When you log in a new menu will appear at the top of the page (black with white text). From the top menu choose Dashboard/New Post.
2. Type a title for your post.
We prefer sentence case rather than title case [This is sentence case. This Is Title Case.]
3. Type – or copy and paste* – the text for your item.
*NB if you are pasting from another web site or Microsoft Word please use the special paste tool which has the W symbol, or (simpler and often better) the Paste as Plain Text button next to it – click on your choice and then paste into the window that appears. This should ensure that nothing crazy happens with the formatting.
If you can’t see these buttons make sure that
a. you are looking at the “Visual” rather than “HTML” tab. Click on Visual if there is any doubt.
b. you can see two rows of buttons (the first starting with the bold B button, the second with ‘Paragraph’). If not click on the second last button – (hover over text says ‘show hide kitchen sink’.
If you want to have sub-headings in your post it is better to use the inbuilt styles (Heading 2 should be the highest level – Heading 1 is the title for the post) rather than copying over external formatting.
4. Select the appropriate categories for the post – you can select more than one but don’t go overboard – 2 or 3 is usually enough to have the post showing up in the right places.
5. Add any tags you think appropriate – tags govern whether or not the post appears as ‘related content’ to another post – so choose some existing tags as well as adding your own. Unlike with categories feel free to add a few tags.
5A – optional – add an image (this may not be possible depending on your permissions) or email the image to info [@] consumersfederation.org.au
6. Click Save Draft and then click ‘Preview’ – top right – to see how your post looks.
7. Make any necessary changes and then click on the Blue button if it says something like submit. Please DON’T click it if it says Publish.
That’s all. CFA staff will review the post within a week and make it live or get in touch.
If you have an image you think should go with the post but can’t manage the complex image uploading part please email it to info [at] consumersfederation.com.au.
If you have been invited to be a regular contributor you will be able to upload images yourself. Here are the instructions. If you want to be a regular contributor let us know.
Regular contributors – uploading images
D. (optional) Upload an image if you have an appropriate one (.jpg or .png or .gif)
This is slightly complicated if you haven’t used WordPress before. The best way is to
- Click on Upload (scroll down to where it says ‘Canvas Custom Settings’ in the middle of the screen. Upload is a little to the right of the word “Images”).
- The pop up should have the tab ‘From Computer’ active by default. Click on “Select Files” and navigate to the image file on your computer. JPG and PNG format images work.
- Enter a short phrase in the ‘alternate text’ box. This text shows if the image doesn’t load and is used in screen readers.
- Do not worry about any of the other fields (caption, description)
- Don’t touch the URL field
- Check that the alignment is ‘none’ and that the image is to be uploaded as ‘full size’. [If you know what you are doing you can specify what you want here.]
- Pay attention carefully Click on the link ‘featured image’ – this ensure that the image displays when the post is on a summary page including the home page
- Click on ‘Insert into post’.
Regular contributors will see the blue Publish button. Please don’t click on this – just changes the status to Pending Review and Save changes. Thanks.