The Home Economics Institute of Australia is the peak professional body for home economics professionals in Australia.
HEIA represents the interests of home economists working in education, industry, community services, consumer affairs and family and household management.
The Institute was established to:
- provide a national focus for home economics and home economists
- promote public recognition of the role of home economists
- set professional standards for the practice of home economics and promote the professional standing of home economists
- encourage and assist home economists with continuing education and professional development
- encourage, initiate and coordinate research into areas related to home economics
- cooperate and affiliate with bodies at a state, national and international level, concerned with the education and advocacy for families and households in their everyday living.
The mission of the home economics profession in Australia is to educate, inform, and to act as an advocate to government, industry and the community for families and households, so that individuals can make informed choices in order to enhance their everyday living.