Get Help

The Consumers Federation of Australia is a national body that campaigns in consumers’ interest. CFA is a federation of non-government consumer organisations.

CFA does not provide direct assistance to consumers, although many of our members do. This page provides some information that may be useful if you or a friend, family member or client have a consumer problem

National resources

Complaintline provides  a comprehensive list of organisations who might be able to help you with a specific complaint.

The Australian Competiiton and Consumer Commission is the national government agency responsible for consumer issues. It provides information on how to resolve a consumer problem

The Australian government consumer protection page lists a wide range of resources that may help you.

The Money Smart Web site provides extensive information about financial issues.

The Credit and Debt Hotline: 1800 007 007 – can provide telephone advice about credit and debt problems and/or referral to a financial counsellor or credit lawyer. Calling this number puts you through to a service based in the State where you are calling from. Not all services are able to offer advice over the phone.

MoneyHelp operated by CFA member Consumer Action Law Centre for the Victoria government and Consumer Credit Legal Centre also offer extensive information about credit and debt problems on their web sites.

DebtSelfHelp is a website managed by Financial Counselling Australia. There are over 50 fact sheets on issues with credit and debt, template letters to contact creditors and short videos about how to deal with debt. There is also an online tool that provides individuals and families with a tailored assessment about managing debt.

The Consumers Health Forum fact sheets provide health information for consumers.

Product Safety Australia provides information on recalls and other product safety issues.

Consumer Advice Services

The following information is generally accurate (June 2011) but has not been checked in detail. Please let us know if there are any errors or information that needs to be updated. Contact us here.

New South Wales

NSW Office of Fair Trading (for general advice) or 13 32 20

Credit Helpline (telephone advice on debt, credit, referral to financial counsellors) 1800 808 488

Consumer Credit Legal Centre 02 9212 4111

Financial Counsellors Association of NSW (referral to financial counsellor) 0500 888 079


Consumer Affairs Victoria (for general advice) 1300 55 81 81
Consumer Action Law Centre 03 9670 5088
Financial and Consumer Rights Council (referral to financial counsellors) 03 9633 2000

Australian Capital Territory

ACT Office of Fair Trading (for general advice) (02) 6207 0400

Care Financial Counselling Service and Consumer Law Centre of the ACT 02 6257 1788

South Australia

SA Office of Consumer and Business Affairs (for general advice)(08) 8204 9777 (if outside Adelaide: 131 882)

Adelaide Central Mission 08 8202 5180

Para Districts Community Legal Service 08 8281 6911

Western Australia

Department of Consumer and Employment Protection (for general advice)  1300 304 014

Financial Cousellors Resource Project (referral to financial counsellors) 08 9221 9411

Consumer Credit Legal Service 08 9481 7665

Financial Counsellors’ Association of Western Australia 08 9325 1617


Tasmanian Office of Consumer Affairs & Fair Trading (for general advice)  1 300 654 499

Anglicare Financial Counselling Service 1800 243 232

Hobart Community Legal Service 03 6223 2500


Queensland Office of Fair Trading (for general advice)  13 QGOV (13 74 68)

Lifeline Brisbane 07 3250 1900

Legal Aid Queensland (advice line) 1300 65 11 88

Northern Territory

Department of Justice – Consumer and Business Affairs (for general advice)  08 8999 6047

Anglicare Northern Territory Financial Counselling Service 08 8948 2700 or 1800 898 500

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.