The sustainable consumer is a key element of a better world and essential to overcoming adverse events such as pandemics. According to Consumers International, five major factors will drive sustainable consumption in the future:
- Consumer demand for more sustainability information
- Sustainable mobility and ridesharing
- Circular design and sustainable fashion
- The drive for sustainable packaging
- Building products to last – awareness of planned obsolescence
Sustainable consumption includes meeting the present needs for goods and services in ways that are economically, socially and environmentally sustainable – that is, without compromising the ability of future generations to meet these same needs. All stakeholders need to play their part in meeting the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Consumers’ Federation of Australia has two representatives participating on the Standards Australia mirror committee to ISO COPOLCO, which promotes standards for consumer protection. Standards develop solutions that will hopefully contribute to building a more sustainable world, with the consumer at its heart.