Consumers Federation Australia is delighted to congratulate Standards Representative and Executive Member Ian Jarratt on being awarded the Medal (OAM) of the Order of Australia in the General Division as part of the Australia Day Honours List for 2017.
Ian has received the medal for service to the community, particularly to the rights and protection of consumers. Ian has been a longstanding champion for consumer rights, seen in his continued position as both the CFA Executive Board member and his position as Standards Representative on the CS-116 Guidance on Unit Pricing.
Ian has a lengthy history in advocating for consumer rights, seen in his current positions as the Vice President of the Queensland Consumers Association and a member of the following committees:
- Consumer Advisory Committee, Queensland Competition Authority
- Advisory Council, Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland
- Queensland University of Technology Human Research Ethics Committee
- Consumer Reference Group, Queensland Building and Construction Council
- National Customer Consultative Committee, Origin Energy
- Queensland Regional Liaison Committee, Australian Securities and Investment Commission.
- National Seniors Council on the Ageing (COTA)
Ian has also received the National Consumer Action Award from CFA member organisation CHOICE. Ian was also the recipient of the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust Fellowship in 2006.
Ian’s achievements are representative of his dedication to improving and championing consumer rights, and his passion on issues such as unit pricing. Ian continues to campaign on this important issue, particularly to improve the prominence and legibility of unit prices and to expand unit pricing to other retailers such as pharmacies.
We congratulate Ian on this enormous achievement and look forward to his future work on consumer rights.